[geeks] D'OH!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Feb 1 21:02:54 CST 2002

On February 1, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >   In this way, a 110V circuit can come off of one breaker, or you can
> > put in a two-pole "ganged" breaker which connects to both "hot1" and
> > "hot2", giving you a two-phase 220V circuit for an air conditioner,
>
> "SINGLE PHASE"!!!!!!!

  Electrician's trade terminology aside, in my example above, hot1 and
hot2 are 180 degrees apart in phase.  That counts as two distinctly
different phases by my fingers.  After all, electricians rarely even
pull up their damn pants.

> > electric appliances, Cray, etc.  And if you populate it with 110V
> > circuits going down without skipping positions, you wind up evenly
> > distributing the load across the two phases.
>
> two halves of a CENTRE-TAPPED SINGLE PHASE transformer!!!!!!

  Exactly.  Giving you one neutral and two hot leads with a 180 degree
phase differential between them.

> (The evenness of the load distribution depends more on how the ciruits
> are loaded than how they are plugged into the bus.  You could perfectly
> fill a centre-tapped 220VAC panel and still have almost all the normal
> load on one half of the transformer's secondry winding.)

  Duh.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire