[geeks] fuel

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Fri Feb 1 01:10:51 CST 2002

Mike Meredith wrote:

> So in other words the O200 is expensive to expand ? Hmm ... sounds like
> most other SGI systems.

Heck, I don't spend $11.000 (and up) just to get some XIO-slots and
extra PCI-slots.
By that time you already have yourself an Origin2000, with _much_ more
capabilities.

> > You CAN ofcourse expand it with another system using CrayLink cables
> > and get a four processor, six PCI-slot Single System Image machine,
> > with that doubled system cost.
>
> Which of course is a dumb way of getting extra PCI slots, but how many
> other comparable systems have an included system interconnect for dead
> simple SSI ? That's something I'd rather have than wasted PCI slots.

What's the difference? You can only connect that thing to another
Origin200, that's it. Maximum two machines coupled together.
Comparing this with the Origin300, you can do the exact same thing. By
adding a router-brick ("sprouter", according to SGI), you can couple 8
systems together in a SSI, making those $$$ into a 32 proc machine.

If there was XIO right from the beginning on the O200, I would be
dancing with joy around it. Right now I'm just looking for ways to
replace this thing with the O300. :-)

> Not everyone needs huge number of slots ... none of the systems I
> manage have more than 5 added I/O boards, and not all of those systems
> are small boxes. Sure there's a need for some systems to have numerous
> slots, but probably not that many.

I thought so in the first place too, until I filled all the three
PCI-slots. If it only had 5 or 6 slots in there, but no...

A salesman @ SGI told me the same thing I discovered when I saw the
price for the GigaChannel-upgrade. "Don't bother to upgrade it, buy an
O2000 if you need more slots."

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB