[geeks] Laptop LCD defect *rant*

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Fri Dec 20 02:32:03 CST 2002

Gavin Hubbard wrote:

> I really like thinkpads and I've never had this problem before. So before I
> put on my *arsehole customer* hat and start agitating for a replacement
> machine, is this a common problem? Presumably these panels don't fail
> during installation, so is it really industry standard practice to ship
> laptops with stuck pixels in the centre of the screen?

That's common sometimes. When I bought my 18" TFT, it had this little
white stuck pixel somewhere near the center of the screen. The statement
from the manufacturer is the same as IBM, they won't replace it if the
total amount of defect pixels is under a certain amount. This was brand
new, never used.
The positive side of this is that either have I completely ignored that
pixel after I saw it, or, it has dissapeared. Yeah, bad pixels DON'T
dissapear just like that, but it's not annoying at all, since I can't
see it. :-)

If I were you and this pixel is really really that annoying, I'd put on
my "arsehole" hat and prove my point.

/Bjorn