[geeks] suggestions for a PC game box

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Thu Dec 19 15:19:05 CST 2002

William S. wrote:

>I already have a PS2 and am quite happy with the
>device and the games it offers. I am now considering
>putting together a PC box that I can play 3D type
>games on since my Thinkpad 600e does not support
>3d graphics.
>
>Does anyone have an opinion of what would be
>a good choice of hardware:
>
>CPU
>graphics card
>motherboard
>sound board
>Case (power supply, tower? desktop (I love my old
>     Palo Alto desktop case that my old P166MMX
>     Micron came in. Too bad they were acquired
>     by Flextronics.)
>
>I don't want to get into an overkill situation
>where I will need to deal with overclocking
>nor excessive heat issues.
>
>How much should I expect to spend?

Personally, this is what I would get.

Antec Plus1080B Mid tower Case
AthlonXP 2100+ Retail
Soyo KT400 DragonUltra Socket A ATX Motherboard
PC2700 512MB DDR
WD 80GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM Hard Drive
Black Panasonic Floppy
Liteon LTR48246W/B/BK
Gainward Ti4200 128MB w/TV-Out (golden Sample)
3Com 3CSM905CXTXM 10/100 Ethernet
Creative SBS270 Black

It is exactly what I ordered for my boss's home machine. It was around
$1500CAN.

If you are a serious gamer, I would get a better video card (4400 or
4600) and a faster CPU (2700).

shawn