[geeks] What is Microsoft planing with this?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Dec 17 15:10:38 CST 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 03:46:18PM -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> "Chris Byrne" <chris at chrisbyrne.com> wrote:
> > Hell yeah, it was designed and built by Germans. Germans love their
> > sausages and their pretzels and their beer. They know how to build a car
> > for bigger folks. I was driving an Opel Astra for a few months and its the
> > first economy car I've aever driven that I actually fit in properly
> > (designed in germany, built in england)
> >

> The Rabbits I had a few years ago wher comfy, but I drove a '98 Golf for a
> while and found it not as comfy.  I can't recall specifically, I think the
> seats were smaller or something.

I'm fine with the seats.  However, now that I have a fixed height seat,
I have head room trouble that I didn't have with the adjustable height
seet.  But, this should be fixed easily by spending a couple of hours at
my grandparents (who have the stuff to fix it, but one should also stay
and visit awhile, you know).

My complaint is the width of the driver side leg well.  My right leg is
always bent verically and right against the wall.  This has really been
bugging me recently.  I thought it wasn't always this way, but I don't
know what would have changed.  All I know is that in the past two months
or so, I went from being nearly perfectly happy (except for meaning to
get car to grandfathers), to finding that my right leg is ofter sore
after a longish drive.  Grr.

If I had more time and money, the interior would get a complete rework.
First, the dash would be replaced with a black one.  The door panels
would be redone in carbon fiber (they are breaking down with age, and I
want them black), the seals would be completely replaced (dealership
wants a significantly high amount of money, which is why they haven't
been replaced), entirely new seats that sit lower, and the drivers seat
at least mounted back another inch of so.  And somehow the ceter console
would be remodeled.  Perhaps everything between the air vents and the
transmission tunnel would be cut out.  But, all this would only be if I
was making it a project car, which I'm not.

Oh, btw, I don't know if they fixed this on newer models, but the rear
end rolls a lot, ever after I put better struts on.  Perhaps I should
have bought stiffer springs at the same time.  But basically, you feel
like you are cutting through curves nicely until the back end suddenly
rolls a bit too much and then is spins out.  Of course, this usually
only happens on badly graded turns, but still.

--
Joshua D. Boyd