Cars in europe and the US, WAS [geeks] What is Microsoft planing with this?

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Tue Dec 17 14:15:03 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua D Boyd"
> > I would tend to agree with you, but the whole of europe seems to think
of
> > them as mid size to large family cars.
>
> If the Jetta is a large family car, what is the Passat or Phaeton?

The Passat is considered a high end large car, entry luxury car etc... The
largest actual cars in europe are probably the BMW 7 series and mercedes s
class which though big, are really only a tiny bit bigger than an american
mid size.

You wouldnt believe what the smallest cars look like. If youve seen the
commercial for the new cadillac pickup truck, well there are cars on the
market that can easily fit in a fullsize pickup bed, with room left over.

Of course they also have tasty little cars like the alfa 147 (alfa will be
coming back to the states in 2004 or 2005... YES!!!)

> Also, how many europeans are over 6 foot?  I got the impression that I'd
> be considered a giant in much of europe.

Well in Ireland I was generally the tallest person around at 6'2" but in
scandanavia I would only be average. The norwegians are the tallest white
people in the world (several african tribes average great heights) with
average male heights over six feet. Most of europe has an average male
height of 5'8-9", the US average is 5'10", japan is 5'7" etc...

The best cars in europe for tall and/or wide people are mercedes, BMW, saab,
and volvo. The worst are probably Alfa Romeo and Jaguar.

Chris Byrne