[geeks] Slow Indy

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Dec 16 10:46:01 CST 2002

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 09:22 AM, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>> Mmm... You don't mean the fact that they had to increase the
>> datablocks just to get faster architectures to do their work a little
>> longer? Apparently they had bandwidth problems, too many hits/second,
>> so their solution was to increase the datablock size.
>
> There's also that, but I recall someone (perhaps on list here)
> complaining of code that purposefully put wait times and delays into
> the
> loops while the client was runnning, in addition to unoptimized
> routines
> that looked like they were designed that way on purpose, and a couple
> other interesting things.  I think someone or a group of people got
> together and created a Seti at home client that *was* optimized, and
> performed calulations extremely fast (an order of magnitude faster)
> with
> greater precision.  I can't find the email and supporting evidence, so
> take what I say with a grain of salt...

   Heh, I wonder if they're getting "funding" from Intel.

   I stopped doing seti at home shortly after the project took off.  When
they fired it up, they didn't "have their shit together" and apparently
started sending the same old data out over & over because they didn't
have enough to keep everyone fed.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "I'll send you adapters to go both ways."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Bill Bradford