[geeks] "stolen" email address

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Dec 14 10:48:16 CST 2002

On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 10:25 AM, Jim Carver wrote:

> Anyone have a clue where this guy is. He's been sending  out spam with
> my email address in the return line. I'm just a lurker in these groups
> for the hardware expertise of the members and really weak on the
> operations side of the computer world. This guy has me pissed! If I can
> figure out where this guy is and can afford to get there, I feel the
> need for a road trip.

Looks like the address of record is in Hong Kong.  The registrar is
Dotster (who he registered the domain through).  The domain is, as you
know, CBPHOST.NET.  The registrants name is Xunxin Ou.  He is using
btamail.net.cn for email, apparently, and his email address is
homebiz at btamail.net.cn.

The best course of action is to send an abuse alert to the upstream
provider for CBPHOST.NET mail server and compain that this person is
spamming.  This appears to be APNIC itself - who owns the entire
218.0.0.0/8 subnet.  The ip for mail.cbphost.net is 218.5.77.181.  This
also the primary name server.  The secondary name server is
211.96.97.19 (ns1.mynuhost.com) - and is also assigned to APNIC.

Another data point is that www.cbphost.net points to 207.44.155.162 -
which is assigned to Everyone's Internet Inc.  They're located in
Houston TX, and Randy Williams (admin at ev1.net) is the technical contact
for that IP block.

Complain to btamail.net.cn that someone is spamming using your name and
see what they do.  This is a Chinese service provider, and they may or
may not be helpful to you.

If that doesn't work, send an email to dotster and see what they can
do, which might not be much.

Kurt
--
Kurt