[geeks] What is Microsoft planing with this?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 13 21:00:59 CST 2002

--- Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:
> On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 09:08 PM, Rick Hamell wrote:

> > 	Because they're not environmentally friendly? They're not
> > regulated like cars are to meet certain minimum MPG limits. I saw a
> > statistic somewhere that stated something like "If every SUV on the

> > road today got 1 MPG better, it would save more oil then all there
> > is" [in that wildlife preserve that they wanted to drill... I can't
> > remeber the name.]

Anwar - And it is amazing that the environmentalists can tell how much
oil is there - I don't think the Oil Companies know...

> Light trucks (which SUVs fall under) most certainly *are* regulated
> in gasoline consumption.  The CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy)
> for all manufacturers takes light duty trucks (the type sold in
> dealerships, even 1-ton DRW pickups) into the equation - as a
> seperate group, but they are regulated nonetheless.

I remember looking at the Ford Expedition when it first came out, and
the dealerships had a parallel promotion - they *had* to sell an Escort
for every Expedition they sold, to maintain the CAFE numbers. Ford
dealers offered *tremendous* discounts on the Escorts to allow the
dealers to sell the high-profit Expeditions.

They most certainly are regulated.

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com