[geeks] Ideas

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Wed Dec 11 10:45:58 CST 2002

>>>>> "vance" == vance  <vance at neurotica.com> writes:

    vance> I am going to try my hand at building a silent computer.  I'm
    vance> taking ideas.  I need floating-point, and ethernet or PCI,
    vance> and I'd like to have built-in sound, and a serial console.
    vance> The system will not have a floppy, CD-ROM, or HDD, and I was
    vance> thinking of putting it in a 1U rackmount box.

Can you say a little more about what the application is, and whether
this is for "real work" or as a plaything?

You've mentioned a dis-like of PC-type hardware, what type of OS are you
looking for?

Dave

--
David L. Kindred <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>