[geeks] bizarre stuff available

James james at jdfogg.com
Wed Dec 11 09:51:01 CST 2002

At 04:55 PM 12/10/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 05:30:37PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   It's not really a rescue, it's a sale...this is a very large
> > collection that my now-deceased uncle built up over most of his life
> > starting around the time of WW II.  Lots of "firsts" (first pressing of
> > Kenny Rogers' first record, etc) and several of those metal disks used
> > to press records.  They're mostly 45s, but there are some 33s and 78s.
> > I speak of them with disdain because I despise country music, I didn't
> > like my uncle all that much either, and I'm paying through the nose for
> > the storage unit (climate controlled) that they're sitting in.
>
>Someone needs to rescue and MP3 these.  or something.
>
>Bill

That is along the idea I have. I wasn't aware of the presence of firsts and
pressing masters though. I figure that with 4k disks there will be a lot of
material that is simply unobtanium at any cost. Forgotten artists and
one-time B-sides. Once archived I would try to find a good home, maybe even
one of the country-western museums would be a good choice.

Unfortunately, money is at an all-time low, so I'm probably out of the picture.