[geeks] What am I missing... (& blast from the past)

Jim Carver j.carver3 at attbi.com
Sun Dec 8 14:39:03 CST 2002

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I found this SCSI case at www.computergeeks.com:
>
> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=14SCSITWR
>
> And I am a bit confused - of what use is a 14 drive case (or 7 full
> height drives, I assume), if you only have three connectors? Were there
> ever any "double" or "triple" height drives made? (really, like tape
> jukeboxes...)

There is NO Backplane in this case. Just a ribbon cable. You will need
to build your own cable or add connectors to the existing one to get the
"full" use out of this case. As to taller drives, at one time I had some
older 5.25" FH HP ESDI's with a HH cage holding an ESDI-SCSI Emulex
converter board screwed to the bottom. Came out of a Mac file server
based on, if memory serves me, an FX system board. There were 4 of these
hybreds in it along with a FH tape drive. Whole thing was about the size
of a "dorm room fridge" and 10 times as heavy.