[geeks] Cable Internet suggestions...?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Dec 5 08:11:37 CST 2002

Andrew Weiss <ajwdsp at cloud9.net> wrote:

> Any suggestions or experience with this vendor?

I've used a number of cable internet companies over the years.  All of them
had some form of authentication to go through before allowing you to recieve
an IP or make a connection.

Cox, in RI, insists that you use a NetBIOS-capable system and set the
hostname to the one they give you - so as you request an IP, you're sending
your NetBIOS hostname and the DHCP server can 'authenticate' you and give
you the same IP every time.  I circumvented this by using a Win98 laptop to
get the IP, and setting my firewall staticly (Netscreen).

TCI (now AT&T?) in CA had no authentication whatsoever - plug in, use DHCP,
get an address, go.  For this I used a Sparc Classic as a firewall with zero
problems.

Adelphia, here in OH, actually binds to the MAC address of the card that
initially gains an IP from the DHCP server - which isn't unusual, but it
seems to me that this would create customer support issues every time some
jerk like me bought a newer, faster computer.  Anyway, in order to get your
first IP, you have to run their setup software - and for this you need
either Windows or Mac OS.  From there, any successive system (including
firewalls) must match the MAC of that first system, unless you call them and
get someone clueful on the phone.  I circumvented this 'security' by telling
my Linksys firewall/vpn box to masquerade as that MAC address - it's been
"sort of" working.

Other systems, that use PPPOE or PPPOA will need either a capable OS (with
PPPO* software) or a firewall that can do PPPO*.  I know my Linksys can do
PPPO*, and current Netscreen firewalls can.  I don't know about others
though - as I tend to try and stay away from such abominations.
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com