[geeks] Cable Internet suggestions...?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Dec 4 23:21:41 CST 2002

I have finally been blessed with the ability to access broadband
internet services... (goodbye Dialup...whoo hoo!)... It's only Optimum
Online... My question is.. I'm going to NAT everything and use the
plain residential service.  Am I better off buying a Cable/DSL Router
(the Linksys 4 port switch flavor)... or should I just buy a PCI
ethernet card for my G3 and use it as a router (I can do PPPoE in OS X
if need be... and share the connection).  I'm not sure what is coming
over the LAN port of the cable modem as I have not yet received the
thing, but since they let you buy your own from any number of vendors
and claim DOCSIS compliance, I'm going to have to assume that you
merely need some form of router that can speak to the cable modem
(which is probably a router itself nowadays... [no pppoe required])

Any suggestions or experience with this vendor?

Andrew