[geeks] How can people put up with this....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Aug 9 08:29:57 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 06:42:17PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:

> whoa, from what I have seen the requirements of these chain copyshops
> are similar to the ones for McDonalds.  My brother, with a reading
> disability and no technical training whatsoever  (he maxed out at PS2,
> the playstation, not the IBM) was a star employee at the local Staples
> in the print shop.  Not that he isn't a good worker, or dumb or
> anything, but hand him a PS file on a floppy and he'd have not a clue if
> he couldn't open it with the official program.  Remember, this whole
> post industrial age is all about accepting mediocrity at all levels of
> society. Demanding a reasonable level of proficiency is not politically
> correct.  Don't blame the incopetent worker, blame the company that
> hires/promotes incompetent people.  Eventually the become Dave M's
> favorite type of person, suits.

What can I say.  Staples isn't a real print shop for one thing.
Actually, neither is Kinkos but Kinkos advertises itself as one, and
thus deserves whatever wrath it gets.  If Kinkos had stuck to being just
a copy shop, nobody would care as much.

But still, any competent worker should really be working to understand
their tools.

--
Joshua D. Boyd