[geeks] examples of vector processors (vs scalar processors)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Aug 5 15:33:27 CDT 2002

On August 5, William S. wrote:
> Sometimes I think my browser has a mind of its own.
> Anyways, my brain has locked in on trying to better understand
> the differences between vector and scalar processors.
>
> What I was looking for now are some examples of vector
> processors (does the G4 qualify with it's Altivec engine?).
> Are there any vector processors found on small machines?

  Several modern processors have SIMD functionality which can (somewhat
loosely I suppose) be called vector capabilities.  .UltraSPARC VIS,
Pentium MMX, and PowerPC AltiVec come to mind.  I believe HP's newer
PA-RISC processors have a similar capabilitiy but I don't know what
it's called offhand.

  More "traditional" vector processors can be found in Crays and some
very large, very old CDC machines like 6600s.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                     "I haven't worn pants in 14 months!"
St. Petersburg, FL                                   -Pete Wargo