[geeks] ISDN questions

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Aug 5 13:43:47 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:22:03AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:

> There are also TA's that allow full use of the D channel and you then have
> access (9600 baud) to the X.25 network and frame networks. This allows some
> cutesy possibilities. I used to go D to D between my house and an employer.
> The cute part is there is no time charge (packet charges may apply if both
> ends are on different carriers).

Nifty.  Don't think I'd have much luck using it for that though.

> Another cute thing about ISDN.... The calling party ID is a native part of
> the D packet during call setup and cannot be blocked and its
> nationwide/international. You will have killer caller ID. Make sure your TA
> passes CID info to the POTS port.

Wow.  I knew that ISDN had caller ID, but I didn't know it was that
sophisticated.

> Looks like you will be in the market for a router with V.35 or a V.35 PC
> interface card.

Yes, but not right now.  Using ISDN is this manner always sounded cool
to me.  In the next 4 to 9 months I will be moving (I think that
sooner is better than later, but I also need a new job in that 4 to 9
months, and job should come first), and am colleecting information on
the things I thought would be cool to file away for when I'm actually
shopping for places, looking at furnishing them, etc.

--
Joshua D. Boyd