[geeks] Woah!

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Aug 5 10:51:55 CDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 07:39:39PM -0400, Tim H. wrote:

> I don't think the apple speec recognition is up to that.  it is really
> pretty basic, and a decent recipe database would bury it quickly.  It is
> implememnted as a folder in which any item can be launched by speaking
> it's name.  A folder with 100+ items with unique distinguishable related
> names would be a challenge, and having an extension to the OS have to
> dig through that list every time you used it would definitely be a
> challenge.

The language for interfacing with the database would have to be
limited.  For choosing recipies, a choice tree would be needed (or
else, tell the recipe database from a remote terminal what recipe will
be work on), like "Please choose A for main dishes, B for side dishes,
or C for deserts", and then the user says A, B , or C.  This seems
smarter than trying to make every recipie name speakable.

> The only way to interract with a program would be to write
> an external applescript, and call it from the speakable items folder.
> Which I have done, but the system is not robust enough to use for a
> practical database app.

Hmm.  Well, it's an idea mainly in the planning stages for now.  A low
resolution flat screen would be another great to interface with the
database, but I haven't really seen any that look like they are small
enough and/or would work with an older mac.  Let alone being something
I could afford.  A small serial controller box might also be a
possibility, then the machine would communicate back to you via voice.

--
Joshua D. Boyd