[geeks] Apple Quartz Extreme info

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Aug 1 08:41:08 CDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 12:05:49AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Neat PDF about Quartz Extreme:
>
> http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/siggraph2002_bof/sg2002bof_apple.pdf

Interesting.  In slide 10 they indicate that Quartz2D Quickdraw and
QuickTime are plain software rather than hardware accelerated.  This
is interesting because most off what quartz2D quickdraw does can be
hardware acclererated by modern video accelerators, and significant
parts of what quicktime does could be accelerated (but exactly what
would vary by video card and video codec.  YUV conversion is does in
hardware on a lot of cards, video scaling could be done on virtuall
every card, but not everything supports all the different forms of
MPEG, and breaking out the different subsystems to try and find usable
parts to reuse on other codecs would be a big chore).

While I still wish they would get support from at least one truly
highend board, preferably the wildcat, they certainly seem to be
aggressively making sure they are one of the best GL platforms out
there.

Interesting slide show.  I would have loved to have seen the full
talk.  But such is life.

--
Joshua D. Boyd