[geeks] One of the things I love about America

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Tue Apr 30 17:22:32 CDT 2002

chris at chrisbyrne.com writes:

>Anyway a recent Washington post column really got me. It pretty much states
>what I believe about America, and American goals and ideals in the world

>This is a quote from Michael Kelly's column from the April 17th Washington
>post.

>"The position is this: The United States is for democracy and order, not
>necessarily always in that order. It is against threats to this of any sort.
>It is against all forms of fascism, including Islamic. It is against those
>who would seek to destroy democratic nations or to drive the United States
>from its position in the world as the paramount protector of democracy. It
>regards those who are friendly to these aims as friends and those who are
>inimical to them as enemies."

>I think that sums it up nicely don't you?

Not in the slightest. We've helped overthrow way too many democracies
for that to be taken seriously.

Our foreign policy became brutal during the cold war, and never
recovered.

(Not everything we do is bad. Not all of our allies are bad.
We are not at fault for everything that happens to us. *BUT*
we have done some really bad things, and we continue to have
some really bad alliances. I do not see US foreign policy
being based on encouraging democracy.)

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
-------- "I prefer the ridiculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------