[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Tue Apr 30 10:23:40 CDT 2002

I think I've made it clear to the folks on this list that I'm fairly
socially liberal, fairly fiscally conservative, somewhere in between on
everything else, and in general I love America and what America stands for.

A lot of the recent bullshit and carping about how "now the war should be
over" and the incessant moaning about how America is a human rights abuser
and other such bullshit really pisses me off.
But one of the things I love about America is the right of everyone to be a
total asshole or moron.

Anyway a recent Washington post column really got me. It pretty much states
what I believe about America, and American goals and ideals in the world

This is a quote from Michael Kelly's column from the April 17th Washington
post.

"The position is this: The United States is for democracy and order, not
necessarily always in that order. It is against threats to this of any sort.
It is against all forms of fascism, including Islamic. It is against those
who would seek to destroy democratic nations or to drive the United States
from its position in the world as the paramount protector of democracy. It
regards those who are friendly to these aims as friends and those who are
inimical to them as enemies."

I think that sums it up nicely don't you?

The full text of the article is available here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63335-2002Apr17.html

Chris Byrne