[geeks] FSCKING oncall pager rant

sambo s at avoidant.org
Tue Apr 30 07:17:54 CDT 2002

Chad wrote:

>~ I had one where a tech paged me and asked me to call her.
>~ This was at 2:00 am

Hey! I know her. Tell her to put down the crack pipe and back slowly away
from the computer, and no-one will get hurt.

And James responded:

>wanted him to walk him through a reinstall of some software he deleted
>accidentally on his company laptop. At night!

Again: "Put down the crack pipe and step AWAY from the keyboard"

I sincerely hope you told him to go fsck himself.

>I guess oncall operator = company phonelist.

And everything else. It kills me to see some of the things people consider
"emergencies". I seriously want to ram the pager up someone's ass sometimes.
I have a feeling that might not be a politically expedient move, though.

>I guess I'm going to bed now. I can probably count all the little nubbies
on
>my textured ceiling before I fall asleep 1/2 hour before I have to get up.

Coffee is your friend. Do your PHBs understand that you may not be on time
when the pager load is heavy?

---sambo