[geeks] Learning TeX

Dave Kimmel crisco_kid at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 29 22:43:04 CDT 2002

I've decided that I'd like to learn how to use TeX, but I need some
advice.

I installed teTeX out of the FreeBSD ports at work and it seems to work
well enough.  I've even managed to produce some simple, but sweet looking,
output with tex and the dvi* programs.  So I sorta know that part of
things, but I still don't really know how to write anything more than a
very simple document.

I'm sorta working through an introduction to TeX type of document (A
Gentle Introduction to TeX, IIRC), but its somewhat rough going.  I
already see how some things can work for my resume and the math stuff
looks pretty neat.

Does anyone know of any good resources for learning TeX?  Also, is it
better to use straight TeX and gradually build up my own macros, or should
I use something like LaTeX right from the start?

-- Dave Kimmel
   crisco_kid at shaw.ca