[geeks] Compuholics anonymous

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Apr 29 17:17:21 CDT 2002

I went and looked up my previous post on computer addiction. Heres the
repost

------------

And of course like any other addict, I don't really want it to end. I admit
it I am a computer addict.

Is there any hope for me?

lesse what are those twelve steps,

1. Admit you are powerless over your addiction
Oh yeah, I am totally powerless over this one. My isp was down for three
days, so I started using my cell phone to get online at a cost of $0.39 a
minute, a total of $400.00 in three days.

2. Believe that a power greater than yourself can help
That one I'm not so sure about. I don't really believe in a higher power as
such, I'm more of a primal forces kind of guy

3. make a decision to turn your life over to that greater power
That one I'm definiltey not going for. I'm a total control freak

4. Make a searching and fearless inventory
I recently calculated my total expenditures in computer hardware this year
for my taxes, and it exceeds the national average income for a two child
family. Software is pretty hefty as well.

5. admit to yourself, to the higher power, and to one other person the exact
nature of our wrongs
Like I said, more than the income of the average two child family

6. We are entirely ready to have the power remove these defects of character
Ummm, I'm not so sure about that one either, I kind of like being computer
addicted

7. Humbly ask this power to remove the shortcomings
Umm, since I don't believe in a sentient, omniscient, and omnipresent
entity, that might be a little difficult

8. Make a list of all persons you have harmed and become willing to make
amends
My wife definitley. I was supposed to buy her a new car a few months ago, I
bought us both new computers instead

9. Make direct ameds to those people when possible
Well I'm working on that one. I'm buying her that new car in a few weeks

10. continue to take personal invonetory and when you go wrong admit it
I admit it, I need to get rid of a lot of hardware, and I should really stop
buying more. I have enough... but it isn't all exactly what I want, and new
things keep coming out... uh oh, see step 1, that maddening cycle again.

11. seek through prayer and meditation greater connection with the higher
power
Back to that not believing in the higher power thing again

12. having had a spritual awakening, take this message to others
Hmmm, I think the only message I'm able to give to others right now is
advice about how to buy more hardware.