[geeks] Uptime :(

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sun Apr 28 22:41:36 CDT 2002

> 2:06AM  up 312 days, 19:41, 2 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.41, 0.79
> spaz.catonic.net

Turned off two days ago to hunt down an RFI problem that turned out to be
the new dishwasher. :(

Was very suprised to see that the power supply fan started turning on it's
own again. If it wasn't at the bottom of the rack/stack, I would have
cleaned it out. It's probably very caked in dust.

This machine has run for...

... 52 days, then a UPS test button was held in too long ...
... 141 days, surviving a facilities move without the removal of power ...
... and now 312 days without interruption at the bottom of the rack,
    outlasting several utility outages in excess of fifteen minutes (all
    hail the uber-UPS!).

The longest downtime for this box has been about two hours, tops. This is
the single longest runtime I have admin'd a box to. It has also endured a
hot-swap of a CPU fan, because of an impending failure[0].

[0] Trick is to switch the *fan* not the *heatsink*.