[geeks] Re: Dress Code

James Rice jrice at texoma.net
Sun Apr 28 08:40:18 CDT 2002

I work at a very small family owned company.  Our dress code is two
tiered, sales and trainers wear business casual, I (the only HW&OS tech)
wear  jeans in the winter and khaki or cargo shorts when it's warm.  Tee
shirts are accepable if there isn't a  lot of graphics.  This applies if
I'm going out onsite.  If it's a weekend or I'm building PeeCee's,
whatever I feel like wearing is ok.  I usually keep some "onsite"
clothes around in case of a fire somewhere.

Speaking of salary, I've noticed it seems better a lot of times in
smaller growing companys.  The two techs here make around $75-80k (there
are two of us).  I fill the role of SA, hardware tech, system builder
and  NT/2000 weenie (our software won't run on 'nix, but I'm slowly
getting access to the souce code and recompliling it under Kylix, my
goal is a Microsoft-free product line), the other guy is my backup and
is also the DBA.  As long as I take care of the customers, keep our
systems up and deliver systems on time,. no body fucks with me, my spare
time is my own.  Nobody audits the equipment, all RMA'ed boxes and
equipment is my own to have if I can get it working.  Not too many
benefits, buy it's a very easy job.  And I only hold an A+ and a few
MSCE classes.  M$ pissed me off with the big NT must be recerted thing
last year, so I may not ever finish.

You know, I don't think I've seen a suit in our office except for
outside sales drioids calling on us since I've been there.

James