"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 27 17:30:02 CDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, R. Lonstein wrote:

> Do the math.

It's 233% as profitable as my previous position, and at position was at
least as profitable as my next gig (which is contract labor, so I get to
pay -all- the taxes).  I wouldn't bitch if I were offered the job, -and-
the job were local (so that my cost-of-living wouldn't be altered).

> 40 hours per week, 49 weeks a year results in $68600, pre-tax. So if you
> are a single deduct: Federal income tax (27.5% on first $65,550, 30.5%
> from $65,551 to $136,750), Social Security (6.2%) and Medicare (1.45%).
> This comes to $24194.40 in taxes. You get to live on the remaining
> $44405.60.

Works for me.  With that kind of money, I could put more money (as opposed
to loans) towards my schooling, help out my fiancee with hers, double my
car payments, -and- put more money in the bank for the next "oh shit"
moment in my life[1].

> Assuming no state or local taxes, you're not doing to bad.

Which is the situation here.  I love Texas.  There are local taxes, but
they're not outrageous.

> Oh, but depending where you live, you may pay 30% of your gross
> pre-tax on housing ($20580.00, that's $1715/month, not uncommon in the
> NY/Boston/DC metro areas). So before you pay for food, clothing,
> transportation, investments, debts or entertainment you have around
> $23825.

I'd hope that the payscale is, likewide, slid a bit higher in those areas.
If not, that truly sucks.

As for food and clothing, I'm cheap.  Entertainment is geeks@ and Rudy's
and the occasional British comedy and damn-fine whiskey at Steven's.
Transportation is honestly my biggest expense right now (payment +
insurance + gas is about $900 monthly).

> Contribute to your own medical coverage? Less for you. Pay for
> training? Tighten the belt. Have any other financial issues? Tighten
> again.

I didn't say I could be Bill Gates on that sort of salary.  But I've
survived and done pretty well on far less.

--Jonathan
[1] My dad calls me an idiot for taking out student loans -and- putting
    money in the bank.  Granted, the interest doesn't work out in my
    favor, but assuming Something Bad happens, it a lot easier to withdraw
    from savings than to get an on-the-spot signature loan.  Not to
    mention that my "oh shit" money has saved my butt at least three
    times.