"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Apr 27 01:34:26 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-26 at 21:38, Kris Kirby wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > Shit!  Maybe I got lucky - even in the worst of the dot-bombing I
> > managed to get offers over and above my previous salary - even after
> > being laid off for a few months...
>
> I got a *few* thousand a year more for my new job, but...
>
>  ... it's an entry-level job, whereas before I was The Unix Guy for a
>      small company[0].
>  ... it doesn't look like they will pay for relocation, so that's not a
>      very high priority.
>  ... it's very corporate. Dress code is insane. http://catonic.net/dress

That's insane?  Dude, don't ever go to work for a big company.  The
company my dad works for (he's a technical manager, with half a dozen
DB2 DBAs working under him) only got to that point a couple of years
ago.  Denim was forbidden until 1999, I believe.  Maybe 2000.  It's a
conservative industry, but not nearly as bad as, say, insurance.
Personally, I'd have no problems with that dress code, except that the,
uh, sight-seeing wouldn't be as good as it could be.  :)
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.