[geeks] E-mail appiances

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Apr 26 22:29:23 CDT 2002

Hey I will never advocate buying an emachine for serious use. But could you
build a comparable machine as cheap?

I couldn't and I can get this stuff at wholesale prices.

Heres the cheapest gig duron I could come up with. I dont use integrated
components because if they break you're screwed, and I dont use winmodems.

Cheapest duron motherboard costs me about $50. Ghz duron is about $35. 128mb
RAM (I wont build a machine with less these days, Its not cost
effective)$15, generic low grade video card $25, generic low grade sound
$10, 20gig ide drive $40, generic modem $10, cheapest atx case with ps $20,
cd-rom $20, floppy drive $10, KB $5 mouse $5. Fan, cabling, heatsink etc
runs a total of around $15.

Hardware cost is $260 plus shipping. Local suppliers are more expnsive.
Shipping on all of this stuff is gonna run about $40 if you can get it all
at that price from the same supplier which you cant. But lets jsut say you
can put the hardware together for $300

What OS are you gonna use? The emachine comes with a licensed copy of
windows which even for OEMs is at least $50, and thats only if you have an
MS sweetheart deal. FOr those of us in the real world an OEM copy of XP home
is $80

And what about the four hours or so it's going to take to get the ting
running and installed. My hourly rate is currently around $150 for short
term work.  Even the cheapest guy is $40 an hour.

So that's an additional $240 added on. Total cost is somewhere between $500
and $600

And people wonder why so many PC companies are folding or getting out of the
business.

Chris Byrne