"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Apr 26 21:05:04 CDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, alex j avriette wrote:

> Is it that bad in Austin?

I don't know how bad it is, honestly.  I'm a victim of fortune.  I've
-never- had to look for a job.  JJT, DACnet, and $previousJob all fell
into my lap.  As a result, I've never had to hand a resume to anyone, I
don't know how to sell myself, and I absolutely do not know how to look
for employment.

None of the local ISPs are hiring[1].  While I don't like being a BOFH at
an ISP (because the network is the product, which pretty-much makes you
administration -and- R&D at the same time), it's what I've been doing for
a while.

Ideally, I'd be BOFHing for some place that needs a network but doesn't
-sell- their network.  Granted, that'd probably involve wranging Win32
platforms or Macintoys, but it'd mean that I could relax about finances.

Nevertheless, due to my own inability to jobhunt, or lack of a market, I
can't find such a position.  Especially not one willing to give me up in
late August.  So, I'm conslutting, and enjoying the flexible hours, but
-not- the "flexible" pay.

So, is there a "okay, you're socially clueless, but have some skills and
want to hold down a job" HOWTO?

--Jonathan
[1] Aside from the one I left, and no one wants my old job (everything) at
    my old pay ($600/wk. gross) minus 16%.