[geeks] icecube

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Fri Apr 26 14:51:39 CDT 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > Nope.  Not here,  The biggest bottleneck with me is the CPU.
>
> You have an ES/9000, all those other IBMs, all those POWER machines,
> and you complain about lack of CPU?

With the RS/6000's the bottleneck is definitely disk, but I was talking
about the mainframe.  The mainframes have a lot of CPU, but they have even
more I/O.  Their disk I/O bandwidth is way more than enough for the CPU.
I'm not saying the CPU is lacking, I'm saying that the CPU probably
couldn't process the data quickly enough to do much useful and still keep
up with the I/O, for the kind of stuff I do.  There are other things where
this wouldn't be a problem.

Peace...  Sridhar

--
"How do you fight such a savage?"

"With heart, faith, and steel.  There can be only one."
	-MacLeod and Ramirez, "Highlander"