[geeks] aw yeah.

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu Apr 25 20:23:11 CDT 2002

Nice looking knife, but the guys a horrible liar.

I'm a cutlery collector from way back and I can say without a doubt the most
popular knife among marines is and always will be the K-BAR, and the gerneal
run of the army navy and airforce dont give a shit about knives usually
sticking with the issue M9 survival knife/bayonet if they even bother.
Really the big knife folks are SOCOM, and in the community the opinion is
split between Cold Steel, Benchmade, Iron mountain, and S.O.G, or various
custom makers (the most popular guy has a 2 year waiting list, and his knife
designs are copied for mass production by benchmade).

If you ever want to own one knife that you will NEVER have to replace and
can use for almost anything I have a recommendation for you. Buy an SRK from
cold steel http://www.coldsteel.com/srk.html

I've owned three of them. My first one was stolen, the second one is at the
bottom of the pacific ocean, and my third I gave as a gift to a friend who
truly appreciated it. I carried that knife for several years before I gave
it to him, and that was at least as important to him as the knife.

My current carry knife is the Ken Onion Blackout
http://www.kershawknives.com/blackout.htm which is great. Eveyone thinks its
a switchblade because of how fast it opens, but its not and therefore is
100% legal. Plus its got a titanium nitrided blade. If you scratch the
finish it heals itself. Very cool. The damned things are indestructible. I
recently gave my old one to another friend as a gift and I missed it so much
I bought myself a new one.

My serious work knife is currently an older Buck NightHawk
http://www.buckknives.com/products/details.php?ID=34
Mine hs the part serrated blade and thicker full tand blade with an all
black kraton and kydex hilt. THe newer style is black and green with a
thinner blade blank, smooth edge with less belly, and they switched to a
rattail tang.

Chris Byrne