[geeks] O2 graphics compared to entry-levelOctanegraphics?

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu Apr 25 11:51:29 CDT 2002

We regularly worked on the restoration of pieces of antique or "art"
furniture costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. I worked on one french
desk that was sixteen feet long, built in the early 18th century out of
ebony and mahogany with various exotic wood inlays and gold leaf stenciling.
When I asked how much the piece was worth the owner of the shop (my uncle
actually. Nepotism at it's finest ;-) replied "More than this shop". The
shop at the time was probably worth 2 million or so just in tools never mind
the actual property value so...

And you would be amazed at how expensive a good piece of aaa quality wood
can be. Or even worse, luthier grade wood (used for making instruments). The
blank for a curly maple, birdseye maple, or figured walnut guitar can run
into the thousands if its nicely figured and this is a two foot sqaure piece
of wood thats 2" thick. You can't make solidbody guitars out of ebony
anymore because they are no longer producing boards of the appropriate size.

Fine woods have gotten so expensive that its almost all veneer work on
modern pieces.

Chris Byrne