[geeks] Onyx, sparcbook, and PPro machines

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 25 06:34:51 CDT 2002

> 1. Onyx RE2.  This is a dual processor machine.  (i pulled the cpu board

One of these with VTX graphics and dual cpu's went for $995 on ebay
($600+ of which was the last 20 seconds of the auction) a month or two
back.

> 3.  Large quad-ppro machine.  no branding whatsoever.  has four
> processors, 256 meg of ram, and one 9 gig barracuda.  It also had drive
> brackets for all of the rest of the drive bays (i think 16 total).  This
> screams "NFS bottomless pit" to me.
>
>         What should i be willing to pay for it?

Heh, if its one of Pixar's SIMD boxen, a whole lot. But i rather doubt
that.

> 4.  Compaq proliant 5000 tower.  has two processors and room for two
> more. (but would need VRMs)  some unknown amount of memory (4 dimms).
> No drives, no sleds.
>
>         What should i be willing to pay for it?

Eh, it depends on whether you need another (an?) openbsd box. That box
is the kind of thing I would turn into a mailserver or something useful
but not critical.

alex