[geeks] VoIP Howto?

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Wed Apr 24 16:38:54 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, April 24, 2002, at 02:57 PM, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

>> here is lots of software to do this, and some Internet VoIP to Telco
>> services.
>>
>> The hard part is getting digital voice into a POTS line. I use a
>> router with voice cards installed. You can also use a Quicknet
>
> What kinda router? The Linksys boxes seem to just do phone-computer,
> not computer-PSTN.
>
>> Internet Line Jack to get into the PSTN via POTS (Public Switched
>> Telephone Network). I don't know what software will work with the
>> Quicknet products, but they are expensive at $150.00 per port. My
>
> I saw these and that's why I'm asking if there is anything cheaper.

Linux support services, the authors of asterisk, have their Wildcard
X100P PCI cards at $99 each.  They're FXO cards, so they'll take a phone
line in.

>> You can also check out asterisk.org for a linux based PBX with cool
>> features.
>
> I was looking around there but it seems the supported hardware is
> rather expensive.

Its only expensive if you want a T1 board.  For connection to a phone
handset, use the Quicknet PhoneJack Lite (ISA card for $99).  For
connection to a phone line, use the aforementioned X100P card for $99 as
well.