[geeks] HD compatibility for ultra2?

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Wed Apr 24 14:19:29 CDT 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> > Nope, the hard drives in an U2 are SCA and require a Sun "spud bracket".

> > Only the CD-ROM is 50pin.

> No, you can use a 50pin narrow, halof height hard drive in a U2, I'm pretty
> sure.  At least, I'm using one in my Ultra1.  Just be sure to pick up a set
> of drive rails for mounting a 3.5" drive in a 5.25" bay.  I think you are
> limited to only one 50pin, HH hard drive.  The rest will have to be as bill
> described.  And, as I said, this is just the way it is on my Ultra1, but
> I believe the Ultra2 is the same in this regard.

But you cheated.  You used the CD-ROM bay as a hard drive bay.

Frankly, my advice would be to just use SCA drives unless you can't find
the spud brackets reasonably enough.  hitechcafe.com has been selling
IBM 18G SCA drives for as low as $80 apiece.  I bought mine when they
were $100/each.  That's a pretty sweet price point.

--Kurt