[geeks] VoIP Howto?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 24 14:16:31 CDT 2002

~ > here is lots of software to do this, and some Internet VoIP to Telco
~ > services.
~ >
~ > The hard part is getting digital voice into a POTS line. I use a
~ > router with voice cards installed. You can also use a Quicknet
~
~ What kinda router? The Linksys boxes seem to just do phone-computer,
~ not computer-PSTN.

Motorola Vanguard 320 with the FXO/FXS card. These are ebayable dirt cheap,
sometimes with the dual FXS or FXS/FXO cards. Also, the Motorola 6520 and
6560 and 64XX are way cool too (sorry for the plug, but I used to work for
Motorola).

~ > router was actually cheaper than the Quicknet solution.
~ Quicknet also
~ > makes the Internet Phone Jack to attach a plain phone to your PC.
~
~ I was thinking about using the Creatve Voip Blaster thingies when the
~ support for the gets better.

I was wondering about these.

~ > You can also check out asterisk.org for a linux based PBX with cool
~ > features.
~
~ I was looking around there but it seems the supported hardware is
~ rather expensive.

Yeah, but when they FINALLY get H.323 added (hint-hint to the developers), I
can interface it with the Motorola boxen. At one time I had a loaded Adtran
Atlas to play with and I had an earlier version of Asterisk. It kicked much
ass for a beta version.

Nobody seems to want to build an FXS (Foreign Exchange Station) interface,
only FXO (Foreign Exchange Office). FXO is what you plug your plainphone
into. FXS can plug into the telco walljack and "appear" like a plainphone to
the telco.

I have a Motorola 6520 with the ring generator supply. I am awaiting a cheap
score of the dual FXS or FXO cards for the box. A quad serial card or two
would be nice too, so I can build a frame relay simulator.