[geeks] VoIP Howto?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 24 13:44:59 CDT 2002

There is lots of software to do this, and some Internet VoIP to Telco
services.

The hard part is getting digital voice into a POTS line. I use a router with
voice cards installed. You can also use a Quicknet Internet Line Jack to get
into the PSTN via POTS (Public Switched Telephone Network). I don't know
what software will work with the Quicknet products, but they are expensive
at $150.00 per port. My router was actually cheaper than the Quicknet
solution. Quicknet also makes the Internet Phone Jack to attach a plain
phone to your PC.

You can also check out asterisk.org for a linux based PBX with cool
features.

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751