[geeks] Netscape/IRIX Number Pad Stupidity

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Apr 24 12:24:07 CDT 2002

I have remapped my keyboard using xkeycaps/xmodmap to put `, ESC, CTRL,
and Caps Lock where They Should Be.  For some reason, Netscape and every
other damned program on the system do not see eye-to-eye about this.

Pressing the new ESC works.  I put ~ as shift-<new ESC> since 4Dwm has
already captured shift-<key way off in left field> as "pop up the window
menu".  Pressing shift-<new ESC> in Netscape produces nothing.  Pressing
shift-<old ESC> causes the window menu to pop up.  Grr.

Also, Netscape refuses to work properly with the numeric keypad,
regardless of the position of num lock, even if I'm holding down shift.
I thought idiotic programs that read keycodes (rather than window system
events) died with MS-DOS.

I'm guessing the answer here lies somewhere among "get a real window
manager", "get a real web browser", and "get a keyboard with the keys
where They Should Be to begin with", right?

--Jonathan