[geeks] Thoughts on bash for root

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Apr 23 00:24:08 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, April 22, 2002 at 20:19:35 (-0500), Jonathan C. Patschke wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Thoughts on bash for root
>
> If /usr is dead, the system will refuse to boot regardless of which slice
> /usr lives in.  Putting it in a separate slice and mounting that slice
> read-only will -prevent- damage to that filesystem in the event that the
> filesystem is ever unmounted abruptly.  This is the entire point of
> mounting it read-only.

You have a _lot_ to learn about unix filesystems it seems...  (and no,
I'm not talking about those abortions on Linux!  ;-)

(or do recent releases of SunOS-5 (eg. >5.6) somehow manage to not keep
the /usr hierarchy quiescent when it's not mounted read-only?)

> I have never had a system go unbootable with / and /usr in separate
> slices.

I've never had a combined / and /usr go unbootable either, and I can get
a heck of a lot more done in single user mode without having to mount
any other filesystems than you can!  ;-)

> Yet you're -advocating- dumping both slices into one basket, instead of
> letting them remain separate as good practice dictates.

Absolutely.  All the rest of your reply demonstrated very well why
people are often not very good at doing risk assessments and cost-
benefit analysis without getting down and very dirty with pen and paper
and a lot more discipline than is ever practiced in a mailing list like
this.

--
								Greg A. Woods