[geeks] sensitive solaris

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Apr 22 23:11:10 CDT 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> For the second time, my Ultra1 has been reset improperly (no idea why this
> time, no one was anywhere near it when it got reset.  Last time a few days
> ago, the power strip it's plugged into accidently got turned off), and
> for the second time it has had a damaged file system requiring manual
> repair.  Usually my linux machines and netbsd react better to improper power
> offs (like either no damage, or damage that can be fixed automaticall).  Is
> this usual for solaris?

It's usual for fsck to not want to run automatically if any inodes may
have to be cleared, or if any data loss might conceivably result from an
automated fsck.  It's annoying, but it errs on the safe side.

To keep this from happening, make sure that "logging" is one of the flags
present in the "Mount options" column of -every- read-write slice
specified in /etc/vfstab. That turns on the journalizing code, which will
keep your filesystems in good health upon power loss, assuming that you're
not actually in the middle of a disc write when the power goes flat.

--Jonathan