[geeks] Speaking of drinking...

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Mon Apr 22 18:09:46 CDT 2002

All this talk of warm beer and drinking reminded me of this....

An Irishman walks into a bar in Dublin, orders three pints of Guinness and
sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When
he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more. The
bartender approaches and tells him, "You know, a pint goes flat after I
draw
it, it would taste better if you bought one at a time."

The Irishman replies, "Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in
America
the other is in Australia, and I'm in Dublin. When we all left home we
promised that we'd drink this way to remember the days we drank together.
So
I drink one for each o' me brothers and one for meself." The bartender
admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there.

The Irishman becomes a regular in the bar and always drinks the same way.
He
orders three pints and drinks them in turn. One day, he comes in and
orders
two pints. All the other regulars take notice and fall silent. When he
comes
back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, "I don't want to
intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your loss."

The Irishman looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns in his
eye
and he laughs. "Oh, no, everybody's just fine," He explains, "It's just
that
me wife had us join that Baptist Church and I had to quit drinking. Hasn't
affected me brothers, though."

--
Gary Nichols     gary at linuxforce.org