[geeks] Re: geeks digest, Vol 1 #1394 - 22 msgs

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Mon Apr 22 17:06:03 CDT 2002

> >  And those Intergraphs with clipper processors :). But isn't the Pixar just
> > some glorified video-editing box? Do they have their own processor?
> Nope.  The Pixar Image Computer II is a full stand alone machine.  It can
> be used for lots of things, not just video editing.  Come to think of it, I
> don't think I've ever heard of them being used for video editing.  They
> were used for painting, compositing, and rotoscoping in the video
> processing field.  They also were used for lots of medical imaging tasks,
> particularly dealing with volumetrics, T.M.U.

http://www.specktech.com/PixarImageComputer.html

 OK, it looks kind of nice in a weird way.... But I don't think it's likely
that I'll see any of these in Europe. But Europe has other attractions like
these:

 http://www.beckeru.de/infos/ddr/informatik/kc85/alles/alles_02.html

 Yes, old-fashioned communist computing power :). Did/do they make any 'decent'
workstations in the East Block? I've only heard that they copied some PDP or
VAX stuff and these 'toys'.

  regards,
   Michiel