[geeks] Re: Inventories and Wish Lists (again)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 22 16:17:33 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 10:53:16PM +0200, roosmcd at dds.nl wrote:

> > > Newer machines (with exception of SGI's) aren't just so much fun anymore.

> > You left Symbolics, Pixar, and Stardent off your wish list.  How dare you.

>  And those Intergraphs with clipper processors :). But isn't the Pixar just
> some glorified video-editing box? Do they have their own processor?

Nope.  The Pixar Image Computer II is a full stand alone machine.  It can be
used for lots of things, not just video editing.  Come to think of it, I
don't think I've ever heard of them being used for video editing.  They
were used for painting, compositing, and rotoscoping in the video processing
field.  They also were used for lots of medical imaging tasks, particularly
dealing with volumetrics, T.M.U.

The original Pixar Image Computer has it's own CPU units also, but it needs
help from an attached SGI, Sun, or Symbolics.

--
Joshua D. Boyd