[geeks] Inventories and Wish Lists (again)

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Mon Apr 22 14:10:59 CDT 2002

Ahhh I hadnt put the SAN in for that or software. If we're talking
fiberchannel then even the smallest SAN on well used gear is going to blow
through 10 grand in a second and realistically I cant see one for less than
20 unless you get your stuff at a bankruptcy auction. And software costs...
those could be infinite. I was just talking about the machines themselves.

I figure you can get a reasonable render farm going with a bunch of SS10,
SS20, or maybe U1's or even with the intel based solutions for not very much
cash for the machines themselves. I knew of a liquidator who had something
like 100 U1-170Es and 200s with 128-512m each pulled form a telco, all
working but in generally cruddy shape, all with ethernet and FDDI. He was
willing to let them go as a lot for ?10k, or for ?200-300 each.  Software is
another matter entirely though as is the networking required to hook them
all together.

Chris Byrne