[geeks] bzflag is fun

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Apr 22 11:09:12 CDT 2002

Last night, after I finished loading the freeware onto mt new (to me)
O2, I decided to see how well it stood up to BZFlag.  My observations
are:

On my Octane R10k 195 (SSI graphics):
geometry is lightning fast, very impressive
shadows and lighting don't even phase the Octane
texturing is out of the question (no TRAM)

On the O2 R5k 180 (stock O2 graphics):
geometry is respectable, not anywhere near as good as the Octane though
shadows and lighting can slow it down a little
texturing is great, bzflag is a whole new world with textures

On my PIII-900mhz Dell laptop (ATI Mobility graphics, Linux):
geometry sucks
shadows and lighting render it unuseable
texturing is out of the question

I'm very impressed with the O2, I expected worse performance for some
reason.  I'm severely disappointed with the laptop.  I know it's not
supposed to be a graphics powerhouse, but I would expect something
decent from it.  No matter anyway, I can't see myself using to it play
games - it's my 'work' laptop and I only loaded BZFlag to test
performance against my <sarcasm> slow </sarcasm> machines.  I might test
BZFlag for Windows on an identical laptop tonight if I get a chance...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com