[geeks] jumper settings on ultra2 require change upon firmware update?

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 22 09:49:11 CDT 2002

On Monday, April 22, 2002, at 09:37 AM, Scott Howard wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 09:22:34AM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:
>> I have come into possession of an old ultra2 (2x 300mhz, 512mb ram).
>> Its
>> been sitting on its default install since 1997, and I recently (like
>> friday) installed the 2/02 Sol 5.8. I also installed the 8_Recommended
>> patch cluster, and it wants to upgrade its firmware (so that it can run
>> 100% 64-bit). This is fine with me, except that its complaining it
>> needs
>> CPU Board Jumper 2003 "checked".

>> Am I
>> missing something?
>
> A jumper.
>
> http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/System_Board/SYSBD_Ultra2.html

Okay. Got the jumper, moved it from 1-2 to 2-3 as per instructions
above, and the machine does not appear to boot? Initially I
misunderstood the positioning of the jumpers in the above document, and
just ran it without the jumper. when it didnt work, i checked the
document to make sure i had gotten the right jumper and everything. but
it doesnt even come up to a white screen on the monitor. like it doesnt
pass a test of some kind. What am I still missing?

alex