[geeks] Thoughts on bash for root

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 21 14:23:16 CDT 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I do.  For instance, makeps:
> cp $1 /tmp
> pushd .
> cd /tmp
> latex /tmp/$1 -o $1.dvi && dvips -o$1.ps $1.dvi
> popd
> cp /tmp/$1.ps .

I've written a Makefile that does all this and plenty more, if you're
interested.  I keep each of my LaTeX "projects" in a separate directory,
but things like homework stay in a directory for that course, so I can do:

  cd ~/homework/2001spring/comp312
  gmake -f ~/tex/Makefile TARGET=hw1 all tidy

This looks for "hw1.tex" and builds hw1.dvi, hw1.ps, and hw1.pdf (with
proper stroked fonts).  Then "tidy" removes all the .aux, .toc, .lof, and
other LaTeX-droppings.

If you're interested, I can mail the Makefile to you (or anyone else).

--Jonathan