[geeks] Thoughts on bash for root

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Apr 21 12:28:39 CDT 2002

[ On Sunday, April 21, 2002 at 01:19:57 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Thoughts on bash for root
>
> On Solaris, is it safe to change root to use bash?

Please!   Not that horrid ugly buggy monstrosity called bash.

What's the matter with /usr/bin/ksh for goodness sake?

If you really want a freeware shell for root then pdksh should be fine,
but it's not really as good as /usr/bin/ksh.

>  How would you do it any
> way, since usermod won't work for logged in users.

# emacs /etc/passwd

(which so long as you don't add or delete entries is all you have to do)

(and usermod not working for logged in, local, users is about the most
stupid thing I think I've seen in recent Solaris botches.....)

--
								Greg A. Woods