[geeks] Okay, I relent.

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Sat Apr 20 22:03:55 CDT 2002

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 07:49:15PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:

> You are more-or-less locked into Debian, since they all have slightly
> different layouts.

That's okay.

> I've always had good success installing RedHat, with the latest versions
> installing and upgrading without any problems.

Have you successfully gone from say, 7.0 to 7.2?

> If PCMCIA didn't work after install I wouldn't say Debian installs
> without a hitch.

I wouldn't have expected it to. I fully expect to have to write/port a
driver or two. In fact if someone could give me access to a NetBSD/current
box so I can look at the source code to the Nell PCMCIA driver in context, I
would be very much appreciative.

> Debian is also a PITA to get an ISO image, since you have to
> use theirs tools to build your own official ISO.

I don't care, I installed it via FTP.

> The politics make Debian the OpenBSD of the Linux distributions,
> too.

Maybe, but at least they're not assholes about it.

C'mon man, it's free. Sure it's not perfect, but live a little.

David